The Museum of Decorative Arts and Design in Oslo, founded in 1876, moved in 1904 into a large new museum building next to the National Academy of Craft and Art Industry. Three exhibition rooms on the ground floor stood out from the other rooms in the museum. They contained Norwegian arts and crafts and were richly decorated by the painter Gerhard Munthe. The author discusses the relationship that Munthe and the «Lysaker group» had with the management of the museum and why Munthe was commissioned to decorate the three rooms, despite Director Henrik Grosch’s ambivalent feelings about Munthe’s art.