Stenberg – amtmannsgården på Totens tak
- Side: 303-318
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.18261/ISSN1894-3195-2012-03-08
- Publisert på Idunn: 2014-01-09
- Publisert: 2012-09-01
According to the land register of 1669, Stenberg was crown land. The property was devolved upon the bailiff’s farm, Lae, in Toten. There is an ancient field on the property, and, in connection with it, a deserted field marked by piles of cleared stones. These indicate that farming here predates the Black Death.
Stenberg was sold by the crown in 1669. In 1731, it was bought by county judge Christian Sommerfeldt from Sukkestad. Subsequent interest in Stenberg was probably related to its resources of pasture. Its central location can also have contributed to the choice of the county governor, Fredrik Sommerfeldt, to develop the property as his residence and farm. The article focuses on the development of Stenberg as the private farm of a state official, a rather atypical Toten farm. Emphasis is placed on the hundred years during which county judge, county governor and Member of Parliament, Lauritz Weidemann and his family were owners. A line is drawn from the Middle Ages, through the 18th and 19th centuries to the making of the preservation order on the farm in 1923 and the preconditions for an authentic museum farm from 1934. The design of the farm courtyard and the park are a mirror of the county official’s social aspirations. The combined cattle shed and barn from 1836 and the use of the farm as an official residence are also affected by changes in Norwegian land use, a process which began in Toten in the 17th century based on commercial corn cultivation. The later period of major change in land use around 1850 is also reflected. Stenberg is not a large farm, but in common with most farms in Norway it gave room to cottars. Sommerfeldt drew up Toten’s first known cottar contract in 1747.