In 1826, the last part of Norway’s border with another state was fixed when a joint Russian-Norwegian district was divided between the two states. Thereafter, Norway was to assert its sovereignty in the border area against a powerful Russia. At the same time, an increasing number of Finnish immigrants began to establish themselves as farmers in the same border area. The Norwegian state decided that it was therefore necessary to mark their presence in the area. This could be achieved by creating workplaces, for instance by facilitating farming. The first of many settlement projects in modern times was begun. Bjørklund farm in the Pasvik valley was established as a result of this policy. The farm existed for 100 years, through three generations. The farm displays, in large part, the major line of development in Norwegian farming, particularly in Finnmark over the 100 years from 1869 till 1969. Today, Bjørklund farm is part of the Varanger museum. The old houses were spared from burning by the Germans in 1944. Part of the cultivated area has lain fallow for many years, but shows nonetheless clear traces of farm use and history in the borderland between states.